Pacific Oaks College awards Faculty and Professional Assistantships on a competitive basis to full-time and part-time students in satisfactory academic standing. As a student, Assistantships are a great way for you to gain valuable knowledge, communication skills, and leadership abilities. More importantly, Assistantships allow you to work in the type of setting that you may see yourself working in the future.
Faculty assistants provide academic and program support. Faculty assistant responsibilities are academic in nature including grading examinations, problem sets, and/or research assignments, setting up displays for lectures and preparing or maintaining equipment used in lectures.
Professional assistants provide department support. Professional assistant responsibilities are administrative in nature and consist of duties related directly to enrollment, programs planning, student accounts, advising student groups, library student support, assisting with the administration of student services offices and information technology areas.
Guidelines and Eligibility
Faculty & Professional Assistantships
- New or returning students
- Merit- and skills-based
- Up to 20 hours of work per week
- Fall & Spring Term
- Satisfactory enrollment requirements
- Maintaining satisfactory academic standing required
- Meet the requirements to be eligible for employment in the U.S.
Applying for an Assistantship
Please follow the steps below to apply for a Faculty or Professional Assistantship.
- Complete the online Student Employment Eligibility Form (SEEF). A determination will be made regarding your eligibility status to receive an assistantship position under the Federal Work Study program.
- Applicants will receive an email from a Pacific Oaks Financial Aid Coordinator within one to three business days with either an approval or denial form letter. (All applicants approved for an assistantship position under the Federal Work Study program must provide a copy of their Approval Letter to the Human Resources Department upon hire. Applicants who are not approved under the Federal Work Study Program are still eligible to apply for Student Assistantship positions.)
- Log into the Optimal Resume website to view open assistantship positions by first registering on the site and creating an account.
- Forward your resume directly to the Hiring Manager listed in the job posting. The Hiring Manager will notify the selected applicant directly.
- Once you have been selected for an assistantship, Human Resources will contact you to confirm start date and provide you with employment documentation.
For general questions regarding the Pacific Oaks Assistantship Program, please contact the Human Resources Department at (626) 529-8437.
Pacific Oaks College Fellowships
Pacific Oaks is committed to academic excellence, thus it places a high value on sustaining the diversity of experience and perspective, which is essential to promoting intellectual dialogue and innovative ideas. Fellowships support new and continuing students pursuing undergraduate and graduate degrees in the programs of Human Development & Family Studies, Education, and the Children's School Programs.
Guidelines and Eligibility
Fellowships are awarded to the most distinguished student chosen by the School Dean and a committee(s) of each school. They are based upon a rigorous selection process that involves an application, review of relevant experience, current academic standing, an essay explaining your commitment to Pacific Oaks' academic mission, and faculty and professional recommendations.
Recipients of fellowships must maintain satisfactory academic standing throughout their tenure. They must be registered and enrolled each term for a minimum of 6 units and are expected to devote time to study, work and research. They must also maintain a minimum GPA of 3.00.
COMING SOON APRIL 2013
Assistantships Positions and Fellowships for the 2013-2014 Academic Year