In the event of an emergency, individuals who use wheelchairs and other individuals with disabilities should make individual decisions based upon the circumstances presented. Suggested only procedures are as follows:
- Move toward the nearest and safest exit and follow the general procedures for evacuation.
- As a first choice, use the building elevator, if any, but never in the case of a fire or earthquake.
- If there is a fire or an earthquake—or if there is an obstruction in the pathway—request assistance from others in the area and/or if a telephone is available notify 911 and an ERT member of your exact location.
- If assistance is not immediately available, stay in the exit corridor or the stairway landing. Continue to call for help until rescued. Individuals who cannot speak loudly should carry a whistle or have other means of attracting attention.
- Emergency personnel will first check all exit corridors and exit stairwells for any trapped persons.
- If you use a wheelchair, or have any other mobility impairment, please advise the CARE office upon arrival on campus at (626) 529-8260.
- It is suggested that any individuals requiring additional assistance during an emergency preemptively instruct co-workers or fellow students on how best to assist them in an emergency.