Online B.A. Early Childhood Education: Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential
The Online B.A. Early Childhood Education: Preliminary Multiple-Subject Credential program engages students to learn strategies and methodology for participating and facilitating the cognitive development and nurturing of language, motor skills, psychosocial learning, and problem solving in elementary aged children. Students enrolled in this online program have the opportunity to complete coursework and specialized practica to meet the requirements for the California Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential. These requirements will enable graduates to teach preschool, K-12, or in classes organized primarily for adults in a self-contained classroom.
Integrated Thematic Instruction
This course focuses on the epistemologies, pedagogies, and learning theories that impact the development of an integrated Science, Social Studies, and Visual and Performing Arts curriculum unit. Topics in these content areas will be approached through hands-on learning, critical thinking, and using the community as a real-world text to design and implement effective learning experiences for diverse classroom environments. Students will also develop an understanding of the relationship between theory and practice by creating a thematic unit that demonstrates their ability to think creatively, plan instruction based on statewide standards, and utilize school and 208 community resources.
Healthy Children and Classroom Communities
This course examines how a classroom community promotes the social and academic growth of pupils. Through study, collaborative learning, and reflection, candidates will explore how to create a safe, caring and respectful environment that enhances students’ rights and responsibilities. Also through cooperation, collaboration, choice, self-assessment activities; home-school communication will be discussed and its impact on the classroom community. Students will use the state content standards for teaching Physical Education and Health to develop lesson plans. Students will also examine issues and responsibilities involving class rules and procedures, safety, and bullying, as well as legal and practical issues pertaining to child abuse. The completion of this course satisfies the CA state requirement in health education for the multiple subject and educational specialist credential applicants. Infant, Child and Adult CPR Certification will also be completed at this time.
Online B.A. Early Childhood Education Specializations & Credentials
- Online B.A. Early Childhood Education, STEAM Specialization
- Online B.A. Early Childhood Education, Trauma Specialization
- Online B.A. Early Childhood Education, Dual California Teaching Credential
The California Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential qualifies candidates to teach in preschool, K-12, or in classes organized primarily for adults in self-contained classrooms.
The program requires 600 hours of practicum and student teaching in an appropriate setting, including observation in various age groups, abilities, diversities. Fieldwork must be determined by Credentialing Coordinator.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of Pacific Oaks College
- Successfully complete CBEST (California Basic Education Skills Test) – passing test required in order to teach in CA
- Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, or a traditional academic (non-vocational) area of study or successful completion of 60 units from a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.0. and meet the following course requirements:
- Humanities and the Arts (9 units)
- Science and Math (9 units)
- Oral and Written Communication (9 units)
- Minimum of 3 units in English Communications
- Maximum of 3 units in Early Childhood Education Language Arts
- Social Science (9 units)
- Minimum of 3 units in Introductory Psychology
- Minimum of 3 units in either Introductory Sociology or Cultural Anthropology
- Completed Application for Admission
- Application Fee
- Official Transcripts from All Institutions Attended
- Personal Statement